Skip to main content

Speakeasy

On Monday, Ellie and I sort of went to a speakeasy. Really it was a themed bar, and there were some interesting contradictions to the story like the bar being in a bougie neighborhood and the fact that the online address for the bar lead to their valet station, but given that we don't live during the 1920's Prohibition, I think they got the vibe pretty close. It added to the experience that I, and then we, managed to get a little lost looking for this tropical speakeasy-themed bar, Three Dots and a Dash.

The first error was entirely mine, a simple case of walking the wrong direction on the street after I exited the train. After that, it seemed to be by design. I followed the mapped directions to the bar, but when Siri declared my arrival, nothing that even resembled the entrance Ellie had described was anywhere nearby. She had told me the bar was situated in an alley that was lit by tiki torches. Even when I walked the rest of the way down the street, I didn't see the entrance to an alley. I did find the sign for the valet, so at least I knew I was on the right block. I sent a picture of the restaurants around me to Ellie so she could find me and waited.

When she joined me, Ellie lead us confidently and incorrectly in the opposite direction of the bar. We walked all the way around the opposite block before crossing the street back again when things started to look familiar to her. Around the corner from where we first started was the tiki torch alley. This was when I got a taste of just how speakeasy-esque the bar actually is. Three Dots and a Dash does not have anything resembling a storefront. The tiki torches are across from a door that was guarded by a large bearded man, not something I would think to approach if I were not already aware of the bar. We showed him our ID's and he opened the door for us after staring at mine for a while. I suspect one of these days I'll have to take my glasses off to prove it's really me. Superman's disguise is feeling a lot more plausible these days.

Ellie lead me down a narrow dimly-lit staircase to the host desk for the bar. Once we were through, it became a surprisingly open space, and I know there were yet more depths beyond the room we were seated in that we never saw. Ellie and I each got two drinks, first the Camp Anawanna for individual drinks, and then a Lapu Lapu to share. Both drinks were massive and high in alcohol content. I ate the garnishes, including a flower that I merely assumed to be edible. Surely no one would put something poisonous in an alcoholic beverage? I also convinced Ellie, with not a little prodding, to share a helping of Thai fried chicken with me. I think she was surprised to like it. We left the bar together with our wallets a good bit lighter, but settled into a pleasant buzz.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pride Fest

I almost decided not to write about this, and it was the strangest feeling. I love to write. Writing makes me feel more connected to myself and the world. I don't think I've ever had something special and thought, Wow, I really don't want to write about this  before. For some reason, this time, it almost felt wrong. It felt like letting go of something I desperately want to hold onto. I guess the tradeoff of writing like this is that I end up having to share what I'm writing about with the world, or however much of the world wants to listen. I'm not sure if I want to share this. There's a piece of myself that wants it to belong entirely to me. That doesn't feel quite right either, though, so I'm going to follow my usual instinct and write. Hopefully, as writing always seems to, it will bring me answers. On Saturday I attended my first major pride event, Pride Fest, with Chloe and some of her friends, at least some of which are now also my friends. I wa

The Bean

While I was downtown, I decided a trip to a certain Chicago landmark was well overdue. The Bean, formally known as Cloud Gate, is a giant silver bean-shaped statue in Millenium Park, done by artist Anish Kapoor. If you follow anything art-related, you might recognize Kapoor as the selfish artist feuding with Stuart Semple because Kapoor got himself exclusive rights to the darkest shade of black ever invented. This feud is also where I know The Bean from, because Ellie sent me Facebook events in the wake of this feud that had to do with painting The Bean Blackest Black, or Semple's counter, Pinkest Pink. The Bean is evident as soon as you get into Millenium Park, and it is kind of mesmerizing. It shows a distorted but somehow very inviting reflection of the city around it. I definitely didn't expect The Bean to speak to me. Near The Bean is this sign with a QR code... And if you use the QR code... The Bean calls you! And The Bean has a lot to say. It introduc

Quest Fullfilled

My greatest battle of wills in Chicago, my huge arc of self vs. self conflict, has been avoiding bookstores as much as possible. Bookstores are my Achilles heel; I can't remember a time in my life where I couldn't spend hours and a significant chunk of my bank account in them. These bookstores have been even more alluring because, through all of Pride month, just about every bookstore I've passed has had a Pride display, tables full of books full of gay. Today I finally gave into the temptation and visited Unabridged, a bookstore in Boystown. The Pride displays were beautiful. This lapse in my self-control lead to the fulfillment of the quest I failed last night. I went into the store hoping to find two gay books, one history book and one fiction book. Almost right away I found The Stonewall Reader in the Pride display. This book is exactly what I wanted. It's a gay anthology with three distinct sections: before Stonewall, during Stonewall, and after Stonewall. Pengui