Skip to main content

Second City Pride

Last night, to continue my Pride week extravaganza, I went to another Second City show, this one their Saulute to Pride. Following my knowledge from my first Second City show, I arrived an hour before the show started, fifteen minutes before the doors would open. My obsessive timing was rewarded with a seat so close I could literally reach out and touch the stage.




I was seated next to another woman around my age who was also there early, and we made pleasant small-talk. I learned that she was also from out of town, but was in for her job with a journalism non-profit. She had been a communications major, and had just graduated the previous May. Given our overlapping interests, we found plenty to talk about. Before the show started, I ordered the Pride Party Punch off their special Pride show menu. It was a delicious rum-based drink, and the sour-candy pride flag was a welcome surprise.


The show itself was the funniest and most relatable thing I had ever seen in my life. It opened with a Potter Puppet Pals-esque musical number, but instead of character names the various parts were filled in by sexualities. And pizza. The show continued to be a wealth of bits, but I'll just tell you about my favorite. My favorite sketch is based on The Wizard of Oz, and it opens with the Wicked Witch yelling at Dorothy, "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!" Once she's off stage, Dorothy turns to her companions, outlines their peril, and then says, "But there were vibes, right? Like that was just a very intense and flirty moment between two women?"

This Gay PanicTM summons her fairy gaymother, the Good Bitch of the East, played by drag queen Lucy Stool. The fairy gaymother hides offstage and listens to another batch of compliments couched in threats and then tells Dorothy to go for it. When the Wicked Witch asks if Dorothy has any last words, Dorothy uses her last words ask the Wicked Witch on a date. After the Wicked Witch has agreed, they talk about how nervous they both were because of all the death threats and the fact that you can never tell how queer someone is, and the Good Bitch of the East imparts the wisdom that you should always trust your vibes. The show maintained that quality, but that sketch was my favorite because the idea of not being able to tell if another woman is gay was just way too real. Overall, it might be my favorite show I've ever seem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emotional Rollercoaster

Today I made my last effort to get through to the voter outreach organization I applied for a job with. It didn't work. My inability after a full week to even get in touch with these people marks the end of my efforts to stay in Chicago. It's clear at this point that nothing I came here to do is going to come through, and with that being the case it's not worth it to fight the battles I would have to fight to stay. I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a tinge of melancholy to the way I'm feeling about this right now, but all-in-all I'm okay. This blog has been important to me, and being able to look and see just how many posts I've made in the two weeks I've been out here fills me with pride. I'm happy with what I've done. If I go home now, it's a victory. If I tried to drag it out the rest of the summer for the sake of staying with no real opportunities on the horizon, that victory would sour. Still, it's not time for a wrap-up po...

The Honorable Thing

Here's what our parents don't always tell us about doing the honorable thing when we're young and they're trying to teach us right from wrong, folks: sometimes doing the honorable thing kind of sucks. Today I had to quit the job that was so hard-won, because obviously that's the right thing to do when I'm not going to be in the city for much longer. It's a fact I've been stressing about and losing sleep over for two nights now. The night before my final call to the voter outreach people, I was worrying about having to quit if it didn't work out. The night after, it was a more solid worry. I imagined just about every worst case, including people being mad and people being disappointed and having mistakes I had made during training thrown back at me to prove I had never been invested in the first place, thoughts I knew had no ground but still couldn't shake. The knowledge that I was going to do this face to face only made my worries worse. Life i...

A Failed Quest and a Childhood Dream

Last night I went back to the closet, this time with Ellie in tow and a specific mission in mind. One of the Pride events I signed up for is a rainbow bar crawl set for tomorrow afternoon into evening. The event is one of the special ones to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of Stonewall and the place that bars as a whole had in the Gay Rights Movement. When I read that description it occurred to me that, while I know plenty about Stonewall, I don't know much about the role of bars as a whole. I was hoping that if I went back to The Closet on a Thursday Sue, the bartender who was there the first time and made a point that she was old enough to be my grandmother, would be there again and might be amenable to giving me a gay history lesson. Unfortunately, Sue wasn't there this time. Instead a beautiful young bartender with a bright hummingbird tattoo on her bicep took her place. Still, I enjoyed showing Ellie my favorite place in her own city, and we made nice conversation w...