Skip to main content

Quest Fullfilled

My greatest battle of wills in Chicago, my huge arc of self vs. self conflict, has been avoiding bookstores as much as possible. Bookstores are my Achilles heel; I can't remember a time in my life where I couldn't spend hours and a significant chunk of my bank account in them. These bookstores have been even more alluring because, through all of Pride month, just about every bookstore I've passed has had a Pride display, tables full of books full of gay. Today I finally gave into the temptation and visited Unabridged, a bookstore in Boystown. The Pride displays were beautiful.

This lapse in my self-control lead to the fulfillment of the quest I failed last night. I went into the store hoping to find two gay books, one history book and one fiction book. Almost right away I found The Stonewall Reader in the Pride display. This book is exactly what I wanted. It's a gay anthology with three distinct sections: before Stonewall, during Stonewall, and after Stonewall. Penguin Classics put it together for the fiftieth anniversary. So far I've read the foreword, and that alone was powerful. I plan to read the book slowly. I want time to really take in each piece of writing.



There wasn't nearly enough gay fiction, a problem I have years ahead of me as a writer to rectify, but I settled on Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. There wasn't anything gay in the description, but things I've seen online about the TV  series that was adapted from the book lead me to believe I'll find something gay in it anyway. There was one more book I wanted, an anthology of short stories called A People's Future of the United States, but I exercised at least a little restraint and left that book for another day.

I walked back to where I'm staying feeling equal parts happy and foolish. I have two delightful new books, one a well of knowledge I was desperately seeking, but I have to admit it was a very poor bit of budgeting on my part. I tapped into some of the money I had budgeted for food to buy the books. I feel like this is something I should regret, but I really, really don't. I found a good deal of humor in the situation when I got back to my hotel. Right now I'm staying in the nicest room I've stayed in in my life, courtesy of Dad and special to keep me close to Pride. When I got back, I sat in the middle of the floor and scooped peanut butter out of a jar with pieces of store brand bread. I can't imagine a more hilarious image, or an image that would better fit me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Honorable Thing

Here's what our parents don't always tell us about doing the honorable thing when we're young and they're trying to teach us right from wrong, folks: sometimes doing the honorable thing kind of sucks. Today I had to quit the job that was so hard-won, because obviously that's the right thing to do when I'm not going to be in the city for much longer. It's a fact I've been stressing about and losing sleep over for two nights now. The night before my final call to the voter outreach people, I was worrying about having to quit if it didn't work out. The night after, it was a more solid worry. I imagined just about every worst case, including people being mad and people being disappointed and having mistakes I had made during training thrown back at me to prove I had never been invested in the first place, thoughts I knew had no ground but still couldn't shake. The knowledge that I was going to do this face to face only made my worries worse. Life i...

Emotional Rollercoaster

Today I made my last effort to get through to the voter outreach organization I applied for a job with. It didn't work. My inability after a full week to even get in touch with these people marks the end of my efforts to stay in Chicago. It's clear at this point that nothing I came here to do is going to come through, and with that being the case it's not worth it to fight the battles I would have to fight to stay. I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a tinge of melancholy to the way I'm feeling about this right now, but all-in-all I'm okay. This blog has been important to me, and being able to look and see just how many posts I've made in the two weeks I've been out here fills me with pride. I'm happy with what I've done. If I go home now, it's a victory. If I tried to drag it out the rest of the summer for the sake of staying with no real opportunities on the horizon, that victory would sour. Still, it's not time for a wrap-up po...

A Failed Quest and a Childhood Dream

Last night I went back to the closet, this time with Ellie in tow and a specific mission in mind. One of the Pride events I signed up for is a rainbow bar crawl set for tomorrow afternoon into evening. The event is one of the special ones to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of Stonewall and the place that bars as a whole had in the Gay Rights Movement. When I read that description it occurred to me that, while I know plenty about Stonewall, I don't know much about the role of bars as a whole. I was hoping that if I went back to The Closet on a Thursday Sue, the bartender who was there the first time and made a point that she was old enough to be my grandmother, would be there again and might be amenable to giving me a gay history lesson. Unfortunately, Sue wasn't there this time. Instead a beautiful young bartender with a bright hummingbird tattoo on her bicep took her place. Still, I enjoyed showing Ellie my favorite place in her own city, and we made nice conversation w...