Skip to main content

Ellie's Favorite Place


Today Ellie took me to what is literally her favorite place in Chicago. It's the place she's been the most excited to take me to since I got here. Ellie is absolutely obsessed with Costco. She will sing its virtues with every breath in her body. You can get everything you need there, she says, and in ridiculous quantities. Her favorite thing, though, is the food. We literally went to Costco for dinner.

I have to admit, it did not disappoint. I was so hungry I forgot to take a picture of the food, but I can describe it to you now. A giant hot dog, about half a foot in length but unfortunately not Chicago style, a medium soda, and a churro the size of my forearm all came to me for about three dollars. It was probably the cheapest meal I've ever had and by the time I was done with it my stomach was just barely edging toward the wrong side of full.

It was really solid comfort food. We went there from my latest attempt to get through to the voter outreach organization. Suffice to say, things still aren't going quite how I hoped they might. I've got one last Hail Mary attempt set for tomorrow, but I would be lying if I said my chances looked good. I've made my peace with that and all it likely means, but that didn't mean it didn't still sting a bit, and drowning that dreg of sorrow in beautifully cheap junk food.

After our wonderful but also a little bit terrible dinner, Ellie dropped me off at a downtown-ish El station, which meant I had a much shorter ride home than normal. I had a really good experience with the transit today, which I'm determined to catalogue at least as much as if not more than the bad. I was riding during rush hour today, so everything was much more crowded than I'm used to. I sat down on a bench near a nurse who had just gotten off her shift; I've found sticking near other lone women to be a good trick on public transit. I glanced over and saw what she was eating, and she apologized for it. I reassured her it was fine, that I was only looking because it looked delicious. She informed me it was mango dusted with spices, and it was sold on most corners of the street in the mostly Mexican neighborhood the station was over. I promised to try it if I was ever in the area again.

It was a good day. I know that I've done everything I could today to try to make it through to the voter outreach organization, and I got to spend some time exploring the city with one of my best friends. No matter the outcome of my final attempt tomorrow, I'm really happy with what I've done.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Honorable Thing

Here's what our parents don't always tell us about doing the honorable thing when we're young and they're trying to teach us right from wrong, folks: sometimes doing the honorable thing kind of sucks. Today I had to quit the job that was so hard-won, because obviously that's the right thing to do when I'm not going to be in the city for much longer. It's a fact I've been stressing about and losing sleep over for two nights now. The night before my final call to the voter outreach people, I was worrying about having to quit if it didn't work out. The night after, it was a more solid worry. I imagined just about every worst case, including people being mad and people being disappointed and having mistakes I had made during training thrown back at me to prove I had never been invested in the first place, thoughts I knew had no ground but still couldn't shake. The knowledge that I was going to do this face to face only made my worries worse. Life i...

Emotional Rollercoaster

Today I made my last effort to get through to the voter outreach organization I applied for a job with. It didn't work. My inability after a full week to even get in touch with these people marks the end of my efforts to stay in Chicago. It's clear at this point that nothing I came here to do is going to come through, and with that being the case it's not worth it to fight the battles I would have to fight to stay. I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a tinge of melancholy to the way I'm feeling about this right now, but all-in-all I'm okay. This blog has been important to me, and being able to look and see just how many posts I've made in the two weeks I've been out here fills me with pride. I'm happy with what I've done. If I go home now, it's a victory. If I tried to drag it out the rest of the summer for the sake of staying with no real opportunities on the horizon, that victory would sour. Still, it's not time for a wrap-up po...

A Failed Quest and a Childhood Dream

Last night I went back to the closet, this time with Ellie in tow and a specific mission in mind. One of the Pride events I signed up for is a rainbow bar crawl set for tomorrow afternoon into evening. The event is one of the special ones to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of Stonewall and the place that bars as a whole had in the Gay Rights Movement. When I read that description it occurred to me that, while I know plenty about Stonewall, I don't know much about the role of bars as a whole. I was hoping that if I went back to The Closet on a Thursday Sue, the bartender who was there the first time and made a point that she was old enough to be my grandmother, would be there again and might be amenable to giving me a gay history lesson. Unfortunately, Sue wasn't there this time. Instead a beautiful young bartender with a bright hummingbird tattoo on her bicep took her place. Still, I enjoyed showing Ellie my favorite place in her own city, and we made nice conversation w...