Skip to main content

A Failed Quest and a Childhood Dream

Last night I went back to the closet, this time with Ellie in tow and a specific mission in mind. One of the Pride events I signed up for is a rainbow bar crawl set for tomorrow afternoon into evening. The event is one of the special ones to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of Stonewall and the place that bars as a whole had in the Gay Rights Movement. When I read that description it occurred to me that, while I know plenty about Stonewall, I don't know much about the role of bars as a whole. I was hoping that if I went back to The Closet on a Thursday Sue, the bartender who was there the first time and made a point that she was old enough to be my grandmother, would be there again and might be amenable to giving me a gay history lesson.

Unfortunately, Sue wasn't there this time. Instead a beautiful young bartender with a bright hummingbird tattoo on her bicep took her place. Still, I enjoyed showing Ellie my favorite place in her own city, and we made nice conversation with the bartender about what it was like carding and being carded when you were still so close to the minimum legal age. I didn't leave with the information I wanted, but I was buzzed and happy, and I consider the defeat temporary. My curiosity has been sparked, and I'll find the information somewhere.

After that, Ellie and I went to get dinner. We went to Trader Todd's, a restaurant that we found out is also one of the best karaoke bars in Chicago. We got dinner first, and I got a monstrosity of a hotdog wrapped in bacon, with candied bacon and maple mayo on top. This city has not let me down where hotdogs are concerned. Ellie and I also got five dollar pineapple margaritas, because Ellie was convinced she would need more liquid courage if she was actually going to get on stage.

I was surprised by how nervous I was. I'd done performing arts all through grade school, and it was something I had loved and been good at. It didn't occur to me until I was facing an opportunity to perform again, even if it was just at a karaoke bar where the stakes are deniably low, how long it had been since I'd been on a stage, three years. My vocal range has changed, lowered with both age and a lack of practice, and I wasn't even sure what I could sing anymore. I texted my dad, and he suggested Piano Man. It was the first song I'd ever sung in a middle school talent show, all the way back in fifth grade. At the time, I'd sent a hush over the auditorium full mostly of bored and inattentive adults.

Come to find, I've still got it. For a moment, at least, I sent the same hush over a bar full of drunk people. After I went, Ellie signed the both of us up to sing Mr. Brightside. My final song of the night was I Want to Break Free. It's my favorite Queen song, and it felt like an appropriately gay choice for one of my Pride events. The music video almost ruined the iconic band in America when it first came out, because the band was dressed in drag for the video, and at the time that was pretty far out of social and cultural norms. It was a bold choice for me, range-wise, and I felt my voice scrape unpleasantly at least once, but it didn't really matter. I learned, to my delight, that karaoke bars are a well of human kindness. More times than I could count, well-known songs were sung by the whole bar together. It was a space where music, instead of being a talent, was a human activity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pride Fest

I almost decided not to write about this, and it was the strangest feeling. I love to write. Writing makes me feel more connected to myself and the world. I don't think I've ever had something special and thought, Wow, I really don't want to write about this  before. For some reason, this time, it almost felt wrong. It felt like letting go of something I desperately want to hold onto. I guess the tradeoff of writing like this is that I end up having to share what I'm writing about with the world, or however much of the world wants to listen. I'm not sure if I want to share this. There's a piece of myself that wants it to belong entirely to me. That doesn't feel quite right either, though, so I'm going to follow my usual instinct and write. Hopefully, as writing always seems to, it will bring me answers. On Saturday I attended my first major pride event, Pride Fest, with Chloe and some of her friends, at least some of which are now also my friends. I wa

The Bean

While I was downtown, I decided a trip to a certain Chicago landmark was well overdue. The Bean, formally known as Cloud Gate, is a giant silver bean-shaped statue in Millenium Park, done by artist Anish Kapoor. If you follow anything art-related, you might recognize Kapoor as the selfish artist feuding with Stuart Semple because Kapoor got himself exclusive rights to the darkest shade of black ever invented. This feud is also where I know The Bean from, because Ellie sent me Facebook events in the wake of this feud that had to do with painting The Bean Blackest Black, or Semple's counter, Pinkest Pink. The Bean is evident as soon as you get into Millenium Park, and it is kind of mesmerizing. It shows a distorted but somehow very inviting reflection of the city around it. I definitely didn't expect The Bean to speak to me. Near The Bean is this sign with a QR code... And if you use the QR code... The Bean calls you! And The Bean has a lot to say. It introduc

Quest Fullfilled

My greatest battle of wills in Chicago, my huge arc of self vs. self conflict, has been avoiding bookstores as much as possible. Bookstores are my Achilles heel; I can't remember a time in my life where I couldn't spend hours and a significant chunk of my bank account in them. These bookstores have been even more alluring because, through all of Pride month, just about every bookstore I've passed has had a Pride display, tables full of books full of gay. Today I finally gave into the temptation and visited Unabridged, a bookstore in Boystown. The Pride displays were beautiful. This lapse in my self-control lead to the fulfillment of the quest I failed last night. I went into the store hoping to find two gay books, one history book and one fiction book. Almost right away I found The Stonewall Reader in the Pride display. This book is exactly what I wanted. It's a gay anthology with three distinct sections: before Stonewall, during Stonewall, and after Stonewall. Pengui